header

header

Friday 26 June 2015

Detour One

Almost a year ago I was slogging it out- writing my board exams like hundreds of students out there... Like a lot of you were doing around now. Everyone tells you to focus on your tenth grade boards, its the final stretch, everything is easier after that.. Well it isn't.

You really start to work hard and make decisions right after that. One of those decisions inevitably is what are YOU going to be? Till now you could get away with being confused but your time runs up as you get closer to college application deadlines.



I never had a concrete idea of what I wanted to do- I could have been a scientist or a software developer or an engineer. Throughout school I always had options. I grew up with a lot of exposure to the field of design at home but until a year back I hadn't seriously considered it as my first choice.
In the middle of the two years I spent aiming to score enough to get into an IIT, I found that I wasn't enjoying what I was doing anymore. Even though I liked learning new things, I felt like I was giving up on something else. Here was my Detour!

I had a vague idea of what design implied but it was only after I started doing a lot of research into this field that I began to really appreciate it.
Background helped put a lot more into context.

There are a lot of students like you possibly, who are excited by this new field that seems so unconventional. Design has always attracted people from very diverse backgrounds. [ I have a friend who was working as a healthcare provider and is now pursuing a post-graduate degree in design. Quite a detour!]

A lot of you are exceptionally creative and will be accepted by design schools. However very few students [and fewer parents] actually know what Design is all about.
Sure it's all there on the internet, but it is quite difficult to decide where to start.

I'd like to share my perspective of design with you by putting up the most interesting things I've found down the road from my detour into design. I'm sure you'll have quite a trip!

I'm currently a design-student at DSK ISD in Poona IDC, IIT Bombay(June 2015), diving into the field of Product Design. I love all things related to tech, alternative rock and canines.




No comments:

Post a Comment